Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Looking back: Nerd Christmas // Looking forward: #Woodcock100

It’s been a memorable festive season for dorks like me. 

First there was the Van Fan Expo (“Vancouver’s first major Comicon”). Which was basically just a very long line of people in awesome costumes, but nevertheless counts, i think, as a big success. There can be no doubt now that local demand for such events is high. 

The good people of the 501st Legion were inviting toddlers for a free photo with Darth Vader. It was fun to see my little buddy up there all chillin' with the sith lord (but for me, the whole “I am your father” thing now seems even more spooky). 

But as if that wasn’t cool enough, i went on to the BIG one: the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo! Holy crap, that was crazy. Not only were the lineups long and slow, but on Saturday the place was total chaos. 

I swear it looked exactly like that all day long. 

The Fire Marshall eventually shut the doors. Some people with prepaid passes stepped out for a smoke and couldn't get back in. They were pissed, of course. And it was all over the news that night. 

Having arrived early and remained inside, i was only dimly aware of the drama. I waded through the mosh pit and attended panels on writing and publishing.

By the next morning, those Expo folks had things sorted out (some pulled an all-nighter). Saturday was a catastrophe, but Sunday was smooth and orderly. Better signage and coordination made a huge difference. Overall: spectacular. Despite (severely) underestimating crowds and undertraining volunteers, they brought an ambitious plan to life.

Which brings me to the Star Trek TNG reunion… there’s really nothing i can say. Laughter. Tears. Rapture. The works. What an inspiring assemblage of humans. ’Nuff said.

But that was Saturday night, and i haven't even mentioned the biggest thrill of all, which began Saturday morning and lasted until Monday — with a long, painful catharsis in between. 

Of course, i’m talking about meeting Stan Lee. Just one three-hour lineup and i got his autograph on my copy of Fantastic Four #72 (classic Silver Surfer story).

Unprecedentedly, i sent it to get slabbed by CGC
  
I'll die before i sell my precious, but curiosity won. I consulted the oracle. It was somehow satisfying to see what the market has ruled: FF #72 (CGC grade 9.8) Fetches Eye-Popping $25,389Of course, my copy is nowhere near mint condition. I have no idea what magic number they'll assign it. I’ve read the descriptions of each grade... I guess it could be anywhere from 3 to 7. A fellow in the UK also had one signed by Lee (CGC grade 6.5); he was asking  £475.00 (~$760.00 CDN). Interesting.
  
While i was poking around i saw this amazing 3D poster of the cover, and some guy’s impressive compilation of Surfer highlights.
  
Another three hours on Sunday earned me a photo with Stan.

The photographer was an ass. Clicked without a word of warning. What? I asked if he could click once more, with me and Stan at the ready; he just shook his head and gestured to the next person in line. The next person was Spider-Man. 

  
I waited in line for my print, wishing i had also worn a mask. When i beheld my unflattering 8x10, the evidence of a photographer’s indifference, i felt utterly deflated.

I'd been looking forward to that moment for months; but there was no way i'd be sharing the embarrassing result with anyone. (Yes i'm vain. So sue me. Why else besides vanity would i pay to pose for photos in the first place?) Exhausted, overstimulated, i collapsed on a bench in the Corral. After moping a while, I sad-walked through the stands for the final guests on the main stage: Stan (again), James Marsters, and Sir Patrick Stewart. The stars shone brightly until, with a sigh and a whimper on my part, it was over.

Mom picked me up. Sure, i said: it was fun. But leaving without my prize of a great picture with The Man was a huge bummer. I stuffed the "candid" image away... didn’t look at it again. 

But this story has a happy ending.

Monday morning i reluctantly logged in to the Expo website. Figured i should download my .jpg despite its ugliness. After grabbing it, i thought: Hey, might as well get the next one too: i knew the photo after mine, in numerical sequence, would be the Spider-Man with whom i'd stood in line. So, adding 1 to my own number, i clicked. 

What appeared? Not Stan and Spidey: Stan and me! WTF? That stonefaced shutterbug had indeed taken two shots. There it was. My disappointment disappeared. Whoosh!


The picture is no masterpiece. (Stan’s lips are saying "Sure," he'd oblige me with a thumbs-up. He did — an instant after the click. And as Asshole Adams shooed me away, Stan, with that same patented affability, shrugged "Sorry.") But it’s there. Me and Stan Lee. Stan Lee and me. Together. Looking more or less totally human. For reals. 


So... that was a massive detour through vanity, but what the hell else are blogs for? Anyway, my superhero Hanukkah was hardly halfway over! There were three more celebrations to come:

1) Comicon: The Movie
2) May the 4th — Star Wars Day *and* the Avengers premier!
3) Free Comic Book Day

There are two Joss Whedon movies now in theatres! Avengers deserves an entire post of its own. (Best comic movie ever is a major understatement.) Whedon also co-produced Comicon with none other than the ubiquitous Mr. Lee himself. The two of them have several of the best lines in the film, but Kevin Smith, unsurprisingly, steals the show (with side-splitting cracks at himself and the whole nerd world). Oh and i recently found a cool dissertation on “Kevin Smith and Queerness.”


~

Now i have my work cut out for me — in that other life of mine, as an anarchist philosopher — celebrating the momentous centenary of the late great man of letters, George Woodcock (1912-1995), my admiration of whom i have already proclaimed. Maybe i’ll Photoshop myself into a picture with him too.

I’ve started putting stuff about him (and the event where i’ll join several much more worthy authors onstage for brief readings in his honour) at Woodcock100.ca

ttfn.

No comments: