Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Stuff That’s Happened (an incomplete list)

Been a long time. (Eight weeks?! In twitter-time that’s like… eons.) By now, this old-fashioned blog might as well be an ancient ruin… or an abandoned laboratory in some obscure secret location… full of dust… and zombies.
 

What can be said after so long? How could i communicate (in anything but the most crudely inadequate terms) even only those normal and inevitable upheavals that are bound to have taken place — let alone any radical changes in my life / circumstances? Faced with the impossibility of a smooth continuity, there is (always) a temptation to just flip the table over and start fresh…
 

But i’ve kept coming back to this same space, to catalogue my thoughts here, for so long (and through so many mutations) that it seems like it would be an unnecessary formalistic pretense to close this blog and begin a new one. Besides, doing so would simply present a host of similar challenges: rather than struggling with how to continue i would struggle with how to begin… What’s the difference, really?
 

I don’t know.
 

So here’s a slanted and heavily expurgated, roughly chronological recap:
 

 • I decided to take a more conscious and active interest in my physical well-being (eg: to consult medical professionals about my multifarious idiopathic afflictions).
 

 • Roy celebrated his first birthday (a million friends came to visit; of course i took no pictures).
 

 • Admirers of Voltairine de Cleyre celebrated her 144th birthday (my comment was published on her memorial site).
 

 • Roy got an ear infection and became even more adorable than usual, due to increased need for snuggles.
 

 • Apple (finally!) released iOS 4.2 (and iPad users heaved a sigh of relief).
 

 • I befriended a superhero.
 

 • Wayde Compton launched a new book, in which (among other things) he coins the brilliant term “pheneticizing.”
 

 • New life forms were discovered, here on Earth, whose (arsenic-based) DNA is unlike anything previously known to exist.
 

 • I began to experience an (agonizing / euphoric) emotional breakdown / (re)awakening.
 

 • Roy started walking, almost… (he’ll walk with me, if i hold both his hands).
 

 • Admirers of Super Mario Bros. celebrated the 25th anniversary of the original game.
 

 • I wrote one of the best essays of my career as a student, and it nearly killed me.
 

 • Roy got another ear infection and we spent three hours at the Children’s Hospital on Christmas Eve.
 
 • I started to realize i don’t know who i am (anymore).

Not to mention dozens of significant political events and occasions. But this ain’t a freaking newspaper. Geez.

Maybe i’ll fill in some of the gaps, later. Or maybe i’ll just stick to movie reviews… I’m gonna give myself until next year to figure everything out. (I’m up for a challenge.)

2 comments:

Khephra said...

2010 seems to have been a potent rebuke to the Fukuyamists. Your list adds an ideosyncratic flair. :)

Re. the 'alternative life forms' bit, that's come under great contestation. It doesn't look quite as solid as the publicists made it sound, but provocative nevertheless.

Added your blog to my RSS syndicator. Hope to hear more about that 'best essay of your career as a student'. :)

Ryan Andrew Murphy said...

Thanks for the feedback. Ha. Yes: "history" has a stubborn way of going on and on...

I'll have to take a fresh look at e life form controversy. It sure is a fascinating development, in any case.

As for my essay, yes I will be mentioning it again and probably (eventually) linking to a version of the text; right now i'm making some minor revisions at the request of a journal I've submitted it to -- wish me luck!

Best for 2011,
RAM